HydroSim v0.7.0.3 New Physics and other stuff
It's finally here!
There's lots of changes, new features, updates and probably bugs (hopefully most are fixed).
A short list of new things:
- Engine ignition
- Boats on trailers
- New physics with better engine / propeller simulation (thanks to Todd Wasson)
- Force Feedback (Windows only)
- Server list
- Spectator mode
- Netcode updates
- New input system, in-game control bindings
- And probably more things that I've forgotten
Note: The boats engine no longer starts automatically, you must press (and hold) the ignition button / key (Default is
I, can be re-mapped in the Input dialog).
- Fixed some issues with clock synchronization over the network. This should help fix issues with gun jump / 1-min jump penalties.
- Added support for Heusinkveld Sim Pedals
- Fixed bugs with netcode prediction, fix for erroneous gun jump / 1-min jump penalties. Also, client prediction should be more accurate now.
- Possibly fixed issue with camera jittering with low framerate.
- Attempted to fix issue where an orphaned trailer could show up on the server
- Fixed spectator chat not working
- Fixed issues with one minute pin penalties not working at all (this was already patched on the server last race)
- Fixed prop emitter at lower speed and some other tweaks
- Removed the boat in the tree at Tri-Cities
- Increased power of Piston boat by reducing the engine rpm friction value
- Fixed issues with boats / water spray not hiding correctly in Qualifying session
- Fixed issues with cameras focusing on hidden boats in Qualifying session
- Fixed rotation on trailers at Seattle
- Fixed an issue with TV camera selection for boats on the other side of the pits
- Added ability to toggle targeting boats with the fly cam (Default Home key)
- Added ability to toggle framing nearby boats on all cameras (Default Numpad Del key)
- Fixed some bugs with spectator mode.
- Fixed the fly-cam speed.
- Fixed trailer textures from last build.
- Tweaked some sorting parameters to try and get it so that boat windshields don't show through roostertails.
- Updated the TV Cameras at Tri-Cities
- New keybindings for cycling the camera through boats that are in the pits. By default its the numpad
(See below previous beta logs for all of the changes)
- Added ability to join the server as a spectator without spawning a boat.
- Added rules settings for disallowing boat resets.
- Resetting the boat now aims towards the race course.
- Boat can only be reset if moving less than 10mph.
- Added the new H1 E-League boats and trailers to the game.
- Moved the aerodynamic center point of the tunnel physics forward a little bit.
- Fixed another issue with the split canard input.
- Fixed an issue with how input limits are set when using split canard.
- Fixed camera issues at Tri-Cities.
- Fixed the tree colors at Tri-Cities.
- Fixed a netcode issue on the server.
- Made some more tweaks to the splash particle effects.
- Gave the Piston Unlimited a little more top-end power.
- Moved the aerodynamic center point of the tunnel physics back a little bit.
- Fixed inverting the canard input. Added ability to invert each pedal axis individually.
- Added an extra canard visualization to the control settings.
- Added key bindings for switch directly to the different TV cameras (TV1, Chopper, Blimp, Fly). They are by default mapped to 1,2,3,4 keys.
- More physics tweaks, increased prop lift, tweaked skidfin pos. Tweaked the setup ranges, narrowed prop diameter and prop shaft angle and lower the step size to 0.25.
- Fixed some bugs with trees flipping out in the wind.
- Fixed some issues with inverting the split canard input.
- Nerfed the Turbine hydro a bit.
- Reduced the wake magnitude (height) by half.
- Reduced drag on the tunnel when it turns into a wing. Makes the boat not rotate as quick when it flips.
- Reduced the upwards force from water spray particles, increased drag.
- Moved the Race start clock to the center of the screen right above the boat speed.
- Made some more tweaks to netcode.
- Reduced the iterations of the propeller simulation for other client boats.
- Hopefully fixed issues with boats/buoys sinking when someone leaves the server.
- Fixed bugs with mapping the canard input with split-axis selected.
- Tweaked the slip curve of the turbine unlimited at low speed.
- Increased rudder / skidin forces at low speed.
- Added cowling fin that can be enabled similarly to the salt scoop.
- Fixed several bugs with replays.
- Fixed some buoy / timing issues at Copi Hollow
- Attempt to fix netcode accuracy
- Fixed bug where water spray, wakes, and audio could be enabled for boats that were hidden.
- Attempt to fix performance issues with lots of boats in the pits.
- Fixed some race timing list sorting issues.
- Made it so if there is more than 1 boat on the course. The buttons to cycle the boat being targeted by the camera will only switch to other boats on the course (not in the pits).
- Fixed the camera target grouping to not take boats in the pits into account.
- When buoys are reset. There is now a 1 second delay before collision is enabled.
- Moved skidfin position slightly to fix issues with boat hooking. Made skidfin position adjustable in setup.
- Made some more changes to engine torque curves to try and get the acceleration of piston/turbine closer.
- Added UI button to change pit spawn location instead of hotkey.
- Fixed a bug with canard data not being sent across the server or recorded in replays correctly.
- Fixed a bug after leaving a server and going back to the main menu, the boat selection dropdown and arrows were broken.
- Fixed a bug with replay playing when going back to the main menu.
- Tweaked other client tunnel lift parameters to prevent hovering boats.
- Added ability to load setups from other courses.
- Selecting a setup will automatically fill in the setup name in the save setup input field to overwrite the setup file.
- Replay doesn't Stop/Start when changing courses, typically causing a hovering boat on trailer and not being live.
- Trailers sometimes don't show up in replays.
- Fixed bug where rapidly changing boats at the Main Menu could break the boats.
- Fixed some issues with water spray.
- Added Copi Hollow race course (Thanks to Kym Behrndt for doing most of the work).
- Made more tweaks to hydroplane physics.
- Fixed roostertail particle physics.
- Made some changes to fin physics and hydro collision shape to try and make turning better
- Fixed the previous fix, inputs exceeding the 0/-1 to 1 range will be automatically scaled now, so you still get the full range of motion.
- Made some more tweaks to the physics to try and make turning better.
- Fixed an issue where inputs could go outside the range of 0 to 1 or 1- to 1. There does seem to be an underlying issue with certain devices where they do not seem to get the full range of motion that they should.
- Updated Unity to 2019.4.f19, this update removes the little launcher dialog where you used to bind inputs / configure graphics. All of this is done in-game now via the Settings.
- Added Input binding to the Controls settings menu.
- Added option to use 2 pedals for the canard.
- Added Graphics settings from the old launcher dialog into the game. Now supports Windowed, Exclusive fullscreen and Fullscreen window modes.
- Added master volume setting to Other settings.
- Game settings can now be changed when connected to the server. The gear icon now opens those settings. The notes icon opens the race rules / admin panel now.
- Ignition and boat reset buttons now must be held for half a second.
- Tweaked Force Feedback a bit. Can now change the sensitivity of rudder and boat forces independently.
- Now simulating the propeller at 1000hz which seems to make the boat ride better.
- Made changes to the propeller / fin physics calculations that help make the boat feel better.
- Made some tweaks to the torque curve and prop slip of all the boats.
- Made some minor adjustments to the tunnel physics.
- Slightly offset the tunnel to the right on the Unlimited to keep the left sponson from lifting on the straights.
v0.7.0.0-b19 (Note: This build is currently only for Windows)
- First attempt at adding force feedback to the game. Only works on Windows. You can adjust sensitivity and gain in the settings menu in game.
- Added rev limiter to the GP boat.
- Fixed some bugs when trying to playback replays.
- Fixed a bug where boats could receive wrong data packets causing the netcode/replays to look wacky.
- Server list! Now hosting a master server, so dedicated servers can announce themselves to the world. HydroSim will now show the server list when clicking the Join button.
- As a Christmas present to everyone that's been eagerly waiting for GP boats. Kallen Washburn made a ton of progress on the GP models, so I started playing around with physics for the new hull. I've added an early preview GP hull to play around with. It's far from complete, still needs some modelling work and texture mapping and there isn't really support on most of the courses for GP boats yet. GP sound effects are by Gavin McClure.
- Fixed issue where way too many buoy synchronization messages were being sent over the network (might help with disconnects).
- Changed disconnect timeout to 10 seconds to hopefully help with disconnects.
- Fixed buoy position/rotation interpolation to be smoother.
- Fixed a bug where the boat wouldn't move with the trailer when the spawn was changed in replays.
- Fixed a bug where boats on trailers could fall through the ground when pausing/unpausing replays.
- Brought all the physics changes on the Turbine hull to the Piston hull. Piston hull still likely needs tweaks to the engine torque curve.
- Changed setup skidfin angle range to 18 - 22.
- Fixed a bug where the server could start sending the client messages before any of the message handlers were registered. This would lead to a bunch of errors being logged to the console and possibly other issues.
- Fixed a bug where the initial boat state could be received by the client before the hydroplane object was created. This would cause boats to look like they were skipping around weird if you join the server and boats were out on the water.
- Fixed a bug where the U-9 didn't have any sound.
- Added ability to configure some advanced server settings in a config file, so I can tweak things to hopefully make server disconnects better without having to make new game builds.
- Reduced memory allocations in several places to try and help with frame stutters.
- Re-worked replay system, so that it now pre-allocates a circular buffer of memory (the length can be configured in the settings in game), so its not allocating memory each frame.
- Separated the visual / physical meshes for the rudder and prop.
- Re-worked netcode, trying to make it more accurate and fix hovering boat issues. Added some more debug visual aids, so I could better understand whats happening.
- Reduced size of hydroplane network messages.
- Reduced buoy network traffic by only sending data from the server if the buoy position / orientation changed significantly.
- Tweaked some other network config settings to try and help with disconnect issues.
- Added ability to disable saving replays by session (from settings menu).
- Added ability to specify replay buffer size in minutes. Note this will pre-allocate memory for the replay. From experimentation, setting this to 60mins uses about 300-400mb ram.
- Fixed bug (hopefully) where boat could get launched into the stratosphere.
- Fixed bug (hopefully) where other client boats would start vibrating, lose their roostertail and sounds weird?
I believe both of the above bugs were caused by certain situations where the tunnel physics could erroneously generate large amounts of negative lift. I think this fix may also make the boat feel less bouncy.
- Fixed bug where boat could sink / get stuck to the bottom underwater.
- Fixed bug where boats would move backwards to the dock spawn, when driving away from the pits.
- Fixed issue where the replay time could cover the admin submit button. It may still get covered in some weird resolutions.
- Fixed a bug when getting disconnected from the server while driving. If you re-joined the server, the UI would still look like you were on the water.
- Tweaked wake particles by adding randomness to their velocities so they spread out over time instead of staying in a straight line.
- Added ability to change target frame rate to use VSync or limit to custom FPS.
- Fixed bug where the skidfin spray emitter was rotated 90 degrees.
- Fixed bug where the clock on the client wasn't syncing to the server correctly.
- Canard now acts as a total lift multiplier instead of changing input velocity.
- Shrunk the width (front to back) of the rudder
- Tweaked water dynamic force properties
- Added ability for server admin to change the wind speed which also affects the water roughness.
- Fixed a bug where pausing the replay, then joining the course would cause emitted particles to freeze in place.
- Physics tweaks to try and make turning faster, less bouncy, a little easier to keep the boat from flipping.
- Fixed VR issues at several courses.
- Fixed reflection probes at all courses.
- Fixed bug where turning the engine off and then back on would act as a brake.
- Changed how timing is calculated to hopefully fix the time dilation issues on the server.
- Tweaked netcode prediction code to try and make it more accurate.
- Completely re-modeled the hydroplane physics mesh using real world measurements. Re-positioned rudder / prop (will need to de-couple this from the rendered model).
- Tweaked engine torque curve and other physics properties a bit.
- Change shaft angle range back to 6 - 8 degrees.
- Added ability to adjust left/right runner angles in the setup.
- Fixed bug where boat would sometimes sink to the bottom of the water after leaving and re-joining the course.
- Fixed a long standing bug with the tunnel physics on dedicated server.
- Tweaked tunnel physics some more, should be a little more forgiving, boat still seems to bounce too much sometimes though.
- Updated water physics to increase fluid density based on velocity of the triangle, this should make the water feel harder when the boat is going faster.
- Tweaked some of the netcode smoothing now that some tunnel issues are fixed.
- Prop shaft setup range is now 4 - 6 degrees.
- Skidfin angle range is now 12 - 20 degrees
Note: This update drastically affects the way the boat flies and how the canard control works. It should be more realistic now.
- Fixed a bug with audio in replays.
- Fixed some broken Team.xml files.
- Fixed a bug with the tunnel physics that wasn't properly taking into account the orientation of the boat.
- Unity version was updated, Cross-compiling to Mac works again, so I've created a Mac build (I still do not own a Mac to test this with)
- Updated the physics mesh to better reflect the model at the back-end of the boat.
- Canard now affects the input velocity into the tunnel simulation instead of just being a multiplier on the output.
- Tweaked tunnel and propeller physics properties some more.
- New engine and propeller physics simulation. Huge thanks to @ToddWasson for helping me implement this! The propeller is now simulated by spinning a semi-propeller shaped mesh and applying forces on the submerged triangles. This then provides a load to feed back into the engine simulation.
- Lots of physics changes, trying to make cornering more realistic (faster and less slidey).
- Updated Cinemachine, has fixes to help smooth out some camera jittering.
- Updated Crest water library.
- Tweaks to default water properties, made more directional.
- Added boat setups, can now change the prop pitch, diameter, shaft angle, gear ratios, and skidfin angles.
- New spawning system, added trailers to spawn boats in the pits when joining the server. Spawn location can be changed by pressing
- Added engine ignition (Defaults to
Ikey, can be re-mapped in the Input dialog).
- Added ability to reload textures while in game to help with painting boats, you can update the DDS files in the Team folder and then press
Ctrl+Rto reload the textures of the boat that is the camera target.
- Fixed issues with timing planes at Lake Havasu.
- Performance issues caused by terrain when zooming in really far.