HydroSim Physics testing v0.6.1.0
Hey everyone, I've been working to try and make the hydroplane physics feel / look better and I would like feedback to tweak this before its released and ready to be used for league racing. I will post updates in this thread and welcome any feedback especially from those of you who have actually driven a hydro.
- Fixed migrating buoy anchors, most prevalent on Detroit for whatever reason.
- Re-worked buoy network code to try and fix issues with buoy positions shifting as well as other buoy synchronization issues.
- New prop noise sound from Eddie, also added ability to change out sound files in StreamingAssets folder.
- Adjusted 3D sound settings to make TV camera sounds not as loud and fade better.
- Added more foam to wakes.
- Reduced lift from roostertails, increased drag.
- Tweaked the roostertail particle effects a bit.
- Made cockpit glass less tinted.
- Fixed graphical issues with the Splash / Spray.
- Got Spray collision lift physics working again (may need tweaks)
- Wake particles now pause when replay is paused.
- Wake particles get cleared when switching between replay and live.
- Fixed a bug with the replay slider hover not working.
- Fixed issues if attempting to load invalid settings/player xml files.
- Fixed a bug that would cause performance degradation and frame stuttering over time.
- Fixed some errors in the dedicated server mode.
- Some other minor performance optimizations.
- Big change, switched water rendering library from Ultimate Water System to Crest. Adds support for interactive wakes.
- Updated to Dynamic Water Physics 2 for the base water physics + added some minor tweaks.
- More changes to the hydroplane tunnel physics.
- More particle tweaks.
- More tweaks to the tunnel physics to try and make it more realistic.
- Canard now modifies the lift coefficients of the tunnel rather than height / angle which fixes an issue with the boat blowing over when you stomp on the canard pedal among other things.
- Added basic wind simulation to the physics. Each course currently has wind setup in a fixed direction, it varies a little bit randomly.
- Made some more tweaks to the water splash/spray particles.
- Differen't approach to simulating the hydroplane tunnel using some lift/ground effect equations from https://www.academia.edu/6159865/Application_of_Theory_to_Hydroplane_Design
- Currently the canard is now modifying the height / angle of the tunnel rather than acting as a separate wing.
- More flighty (Probably too much)
- More slidey
- Less rolly
- Made water spray less obnoxious
- Canard pivot is now at the front of the wing where it should be.
- More flighty?
- More slidey?
- Bug affecting camera/boat skin when entering course while replay is playing.
- Fixed sunken ship simulator.
kylelewis last edited by
Scott- the boat now feels very heavy in the water. i was not able to make a lap without crashing. if i give it enough wing to get free the boat has the tendency to lift very quickly.
way too flighty, cant make a lap. let it fly at all and it just lifts off. also cant seem to make a turn in madison without needing to put wing into it to get it to bite and turn.
would be ideal to get it to float a little, spill air once or twice then flip. that would be realistic.
nice job mate.
I think the boat just needs to be loosened up a bit in general but I like the new physics because it's more realistic. To be good at this game before, you had to really fly the boat and pull off ridiculously long wheelies. In this newer version its more about keeping the boat on the water as using the wing to fly the boat is a lot less forgiving. The point of no return is a lot closer to how it is in real life in this version.
It's all about picking your battles when to fly the boat and setting up for the corner
I like the new physics. Yes the boat lifts quick. We all had to get use the new mod when we started. Like anything it takes time to get use to using the wing more. And like I read in Peytons post. You’ll have to pick your battles for pushing it. I think it puts everyone on a even playing field. I feel it’s more realistic now. When you use more wing in the turn it responds better and can hug the buoys without your back end sliding out as much. Great job. Can’t wait to drive it in competition with everyone.
@PeytonHopp a real hydro is alot less forgiving than this sim was in this new version. ifthe point of no return in real racing was like it was in this test, there would be blow overs every heat imo lol im not saying it should be dialed back to the way it was. im just saying dial it back a little, itll be difficult just to complete a race with it like this.
@jeffdewalt in real boat racing you dont need to use the wing to get around a turn, the fin hooks up to get you through turn. if youre talking realistic- the wing is always in positive life as soon as the fin hooks up. watch any onboard videos, you dont see good drivers with wing into it at apex / exit to get around the turn.
I know the wing is in the neutral position. And you invert the wing to give more lift through the turn. and I know that the skid fin hooks the boat up to turn. I agree it's a little touchy on the lift but more challenging. There's a real fine line to find though in sim I'm sure. Let's hope that whatever Scott comes up with it's what everyone is comfortable with and can be fast and competitive and doesn't allow for Wheelies......The more realistic the better.
@jeffdewalt wing should be in lift not neutral
That's what I meant to say Tyler. I apologize for the incorrect terminology. I was answering the post at work and I had a brain fart for words. meant to say lift not neutral.
craigmont last edited by craigmont
I like the direction it's going. I can't speak to the realism, but it seems more fun to drive. It's a little more forgiving and drivable, until you get to the edge, and then it's insta-flip and you're dead.
Would it be possible to get some more down angle range on the canard? It seems like we have lots of lift, but when I push the control all the way down, the wing is just at neutral or a little past.
I think in unlimiteds they do need to settle the nose down before a turn. You can hear them talking about that on the radio.
Turns still feel way too 'skidded' to me. These boats carve their turns, don't they?
@craigmont Maybe eventually we could set our own canard range!
@PeytonHopp Peyton FYI, on the Unlimiteds and GP's the pivot point of the front wing is about 1/3 of the way from the front of the wing to the rear edge of the wing Jerry Hopp. Just found this web site again, been maybe 10 years ago??? Re-Registered.
Update up! Merry Christmas!
Feature request: A way to rename and delete replay files in-game.
@craigmont Yeah, that's a great suggestion, also a way to disable automatic saving of each session type.
Feature request- sort the boats into folders in the game drop-down menu and have the selected boat persist
Updated to v0.6.1.0-p10, I've also just updated the link on the downloads page to point to this version.
I think this will be the last -p## version for now, will go back to just updating the normal version numbers. There will likely be some more changes to the physics, but since there isn't a racing season going on right now, I don't think it's necessary to keep 2 separate versions of the game.
This last update should fix the migrating buoy anchors.
Ryan Yates last edited by
Feature Request - Ability to map toggle cockpit view to a controller button instead of just the keyboard